I really had a great week – I did a full bust adjustment on the Simplicity 2209 Lisette dress and finally bought muslin so I set out to mock this up, which turned out really great. I’m calling this the Kate dress. On top of all of that I FINALLY got a compliment on the one I made months ago in that crazy fuscia print and solid – my voice teacher of all people said how cute it was!
My husband has a job interview in GA this coming Friday-Sunday so I thought I would make a Kate for the occasion, in royal blue. I found the perfect fabric, a quilting cotton, which really does have the perfect drape for the skirt. Yesterday I set about working on my Kate – I even stitched and pinked the inside seams, biased the armholes (which looks fabulous), etc. Then came time to match the bodice to the skirt. It never occured to me to go ahead and make a muslin of the skirt as well to make sure they line up – and lo and behold they do not. I need to either add 5 inches to the skirt, or remove close to the same amount from the bodice. In frustration, I finally set it down last night around 11:00 and decided to go to bed instead.
On a positive, I do think I’ve figured out that the room should be taken in from the bodice, which may mean tightening up those bust stitches – they aren’t really darts, but nevertheless can be altered. In fact, the first one I made was a size 16 at the armholes, grading to a 20 at the waist which caused a great deal of gaping near the armhole. I just seam ripped where the bust was tight to give more room. I have since learned how to do a FBA, but I’m not sure that I followed the exact pattern instructions, as everything I’m seeing on Pattern Review shows them as being stiched down. Maybe I should also revisit the instructions.
Anyway, I hope to have at least a photo of a finished Kate by Tuesday!